On May 9, Congressman George Miller (D-CA), ranking member of the House Education & Workforce Committee and Congressman Gregg Harper (R-MS) introduced the Keeping All Students Safe Act, HR 1893, a bill to protect all students nationwide from restraint and seclusion.
Please CALL your members of Congress and ask them to Cosponsor and Support the Keeping All Students Safe Act, HR 1893.
Dial 202-224-3121; ask for your Representative’s Office, and then ask for the education aide.
The Keeping Students Safe Act will:
- ban restraint/seclusion except in emergencies where someone is in danger of physical harm
- require that parents be informed if their child was restrained/secluded on the same day that the event occurred
- ban restraints that impede breathing, mechanical restraints, and chemical restraints
- prevent restraint/seclusion from being used when less restrictive alternatives, like positive supports and de-escalation, would eliminate any danger
- require that if children are placed in seclusion rooms, school staff must continuously visually observe them
- ban dangerous aversive practices that threaten safety; require the collection of data; and require appropriate training of staff
Thanks to everyone who signed onto the letter from 200 organizations in support of the bill.